ExploreMetro makes interactive maps for metro and subway systems in Asian cities.
The story started in 2007 when University of Cambridge graduate, web developer and Shanghai resident Matt Mayer created an online metro map of Shanghai. Tired of maps which had outdated station names and timetable information, were only in one language, or took a long time to load, Matt developed the first ExploreMetro site, ExploreShanghai. The site featured loaded quickly, had English and Chinese versions, with Mandarin pronounciations of each station, always up-to-date timetables, and an intuitive routeplanner.
It quickly became the most popular metro map of Shanghai, in English and Chinese. New stations and lines were added as the Shanghai metro system expanded.
ExploreBeijing and ExploreGuangzhou were launched in 2008, and were joined in 2009 by ExploreHK for the Hong Kong MTR, ensuring the four largest metros in greater China are now covered by simple clear mapping.
In 2009, we launched our first iPhone app, giving you access to our maps on the go.
Today ExploreMetro serves accurate, interactive mapping to millions of users in seven of Asia's biggest cities.
Want to find out more? Contact us
Recent Press coverage
- Does Shanghai need a monorail? Time Out Shanghai, August 1, 2013
- New Metro Lines Popping Up CityWeekend, June 3, 2013
- 24 Apps That Will Change Your Shanghai Life CityWeekend, May 20, 2013
- Awesome App: Rate Your Cab Driver CityWeekend, January 17, 2013
- Shanghai 2013 in Preview: The Biggest Stories in the Coming Year CityWeekend, January 1, 2013
- Now You Can Rate Shanghai Taxi Drivers With This New App Tech in Asia, November 20, 2012
- Card Checker App: Subway Riding Made Easy CityWeekend, June 11, 2012
- 10 best apps for living in Shanghai CNN Travel, August 8, 2011
- ExploreMetro Interview by Allie Johnson China Radio International, May 12, 2011
- Appsolutely Necessary: 16 Apps That Will Change Your Shanghai Life CityWeekend, May 12, 2011
- Top 5 China apps Lonely Planet, August 20, 2010
- Tube topographer Global Times, May 10, 2010
- Another 51 things you may not know about Shanghai -- but should CNN Travel, May 7, 2010
- Matt Mayer: 5 things in Shanghai that will get BIGGER in 2010 Shanghaiist, December 28, 2009
- iShanghai: 9 must-have apps to navigate Shanghai CityWeekend, January 4, 2010
- Visit every Shanghai subway station in one day? Shanghaiist, January 19, 2009
- ExploreShanghai Metro map now an iPhone app Shanghaiist, November 16, 2009